Can Online Forums Damage My Small Business? The fact that word on the Internet travels so quickly can be beneficial to small businesses regarding advertising and word of mouth recommendations. Unfortunately, it can also be detrimental if the wrong thing is said.
With all the different social media sites and forums online, any business needs to stay abreast of what is and is not acceptable.
Is there a choice?
Can any business afford not to be online or on social networks and forums? I suspect the answer for 99% of small businesses is no.
What we need to do is ensure that we follow some simple rules:
- Never undermine your competition
- Never talk about politics, religion etc (unless that is your business!)
- Always be honest, but slightly conservative
- Be accessible
- Respond professionally and never attack.
- If there is any doubt in your mind – DO NOT REPLY!
NEVER try to have the last word… you wont!