Thinking of going freelance as a consultant?
I spend a lot of my marketing time on the LinkedIn platform. I find the groups particularly valuable.
Today I commented on a group discussion, and it led me to thinking about the golden rules for freelancing or consulting.
As an experienced business adviser and a freelance consultant. I consider five key golden rules for freelance success to be:
1) – never more than 20% or your turnover from one client (its too dangerous & not sustainable)
2) – park 25% of income in a savings account to cover tax (easy to forget its not all yours!)
3) – develop yourself, develop yourself, develop yourself (you are the product so keep it fresh
4) – marketing, marketing, marketing – and when you are busy – keep the marketing up! (never let people forget where you are and what you do)
5) – share, share, share – collaborate with people and give for what goes around comes around!
What do you think of these freelance golden rules? What would you add or take away?
Read more of our articles on going freelance