7 key ways to promote your business & website
It is all very well having a website – but how do people know its there – and more importantly do the great modern gods (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc) know you exist? do they think your site is important?
- Relevant – Does your website CLEARLY say what you do & don’t do? – its all very well people finding your site – but you need them to contact you. Ensure your offer is obvious – ask for friends & family what they make of your site.
- Articles – write articles and put them on ezine sites – make sure they are spread across several sites & all link back to your site with key words
- Participation – let people get involved. Have a blog that allows people to comment on your views and ideas
- In – is your site LinkedIN ? Do you have both a personal profile on LinkedIn and a business page? Do these pages have links to your site?
- Directories – many will think these are a distraction – but look to see any relevant trade directories for your sector or the sectors in which your customers operate. Only use local ones – and be careful to avoid overseas directories.
- Blogs – Have 2 – one on your site and one off – use WordPress or Blogger for your offsite blog. have different content here to your site but ensure they link back to your site
- Interact – Use Twitter to make contact with potential customers – the link back is of value too
These activities are not one off’s – but an ongoing strategy.
Aim for at least one article a week – ideally two. These articles should perform at least three functions:
- Show you know – demonstrate your knowledge or competence
- Be of value to site visitors – given them a reason to stay even if they do not need your product yet
- Puts your name in their mind
Aim to tweet useful material everyday – only promote a link every 10-15 tweets – you want to interact with people not sell to them – social media is best when done progressively.